- 410-783-6365 direct
- 410-783-6499 fax
Mr. Wothers practices in the Litigation Department of Niles, Barton & Wilmer, LLP, concentrating in insurance coverage litigation, property insurance law, related first party insurance matters and commercial litigation. His experience includes investigation and litigation in various first party areas, including coverage disputes, arson and fraud investigations across North America.
In addition to representing many domestic carriers, Mr. Wothers represents a significant number of syndicates in the world's leading specialist insurance market: Lloyd's of London. He works with underwriters, brokers, managing general agents and third party administrators to handle excess and surplus lines insurance coverage, reinsurance, and litigation in the mid-Atlantic United States.
Mr. Wothers has lectured extensively regarding investigation of fraudulent claims, insurance coverage, and first party property appraisal. He also has extensive experience in subrogation. His liability/third party practice includes construction defect matters and commercial litigation involving business related matters. Mr. Wothers practices in the state and federal courts of Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia, New York and the District of Columbia.
Mr. Wothers serves on the Firm's Management Committee, and previously served as Managing Partner for seven years. Mr. Wothers is a member of the American Bar Association's Property Insurance Law Committee, and the Tort Trial and Insurance Practice sections. He is also a member of Defense Research Institute.
Mr. Wothers was recognized by Maryland Super Lawyers as a top attorney in Insurance Coverage and Business Litigation from 2008-2018. Mr. Wothers was profiled in the 2012 edition of Maryland Super Lawyers magazine in an editorial titled, "Insurance Exchange." He is also rated by Martindale-Hubbell as an AV- Preeminent® Top Rated Lawyer in Insurance Law.
Mr. Wothers serves as Chairman of the Board of Directors of Carroll Hospital Center, and Chairman of the Risk, Audit and Compliance Committee for LifeBridge Health, its parent company. Mr. Wothers also serves on the Carroll County Planning and Zoning Commission in Carroll County, Maryland.
- Stephen M. Wright, et al. v. Donegal Insurance Companies, et al., 2006 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 95988 (United States District Court for the District of Maryland, Northern Division)
- Cornell Knox v. State Farm Fire and Casualty Co., et al., 2005 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 8113 (United States District Court for the District of Maryland)
- CoStar Group Inc., and CoStar Realty Information, Inc. v. LoopNet, Inc., 164 F. Supp. 2d 688 (United States District Court for the District of Maryland 2001)
- Red Bird Egg Farms, Incorporated v. Pennsylvania Manufacturers Indemnity Company, 15 Fed. Appx. 149 (United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit 2001)
- GLM Partnership v. Hartford Casualty Insurance Company, 753 A.2d 995 (District of Columbia Court of Appeals 2000)
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Maryland
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- West Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- New York
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Widener University School of LawWilmington, DE
American Jurisprudence Award, Constitutional Law
- University of Maryland Baltimore CountyBaltimore, MD
B.A., Economics, 1988
- American Bar Association
Property Insurance Law Committee, Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- Virginia State Bar Association
- West Virginia Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- LifeBridge Health
Chairman of the Risk, Audit and Compliance Committee
- Carroll Hospital Center
Chairman of the Board of Directors
- Carroll County Planning and Zoning Commission