Lee Carpenter’s practice focuses on estate planning and probate, trust administration, and general business and corporate law. His estate-planning work includes a special emphasis on the unique needs of same-sex couples and other members of the LGBTQ community.
Mr. Carpenter works with clients at all asset levels to develop comprehensive estate plans using wills, powers of attorney, advance medical directives, real estate deeds, and other planning tools. Depending on the client’s individual needs, he may also prepare trust documents to help avoid probate, reduce estate taxes, provide for minor children, or care for those with special needs.
An active member of the community, Mr. Carpenter has testified before the Maryland General Assembly in favor of pro-LGBTQ legislation. He is also a board member and pro bono attorney at FreeState Justice, which provides free legal services to Maryland’s low-income LGBTQ residents.
Mr. Carpenter teaches Estates & Trusts at the University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law as an adjunct professor. He is a frequent author and lecturer on topics related to estate planning and LGBTQ law.
For more information about LGBTQ estate planning, please visit https://mdlgbtestateplanning.com/.
Honors & Awards
- Baltimore Community Foundation Professional Advisors Recognition Society.
- Author of a monthly estate planning column for Baltimore Out Loud.
- “Estate Planning for Same-Sex Couples,” Maryland Bar Bulletin, February, 2016.
- “LGBT Estate Planning & Same-Sex Marriage,” Baltimore Barrister, February 2015.
Teaching & Presentations
- Adjunct Professor of Law, Estates & Trusts, University of Maryland Carey School of Law, 2017–present.
- “Estate Planning for the LGBTQ Community,” MSBA Estates & Trusts Study Group, January 2020.
- “Working with the LGBTQ Community,” lunch-and-learn events in Baltimore, Chicago, Minneapolis, Philadelphia, Boston, Miami, and Washington, 2019–2020.
- “LGBT Estate Planning & the Benefits of Marriage,” Baltimore Community Foundation, April 2018.
- “LGBT Estate Planning & the Benefits of Marriage,” Society of Financial Service Professionals, November 2017.
- “Trusts from A to Z” (CLE), July 2016.
- “Estate Planning for Couples, Married or Not,” Frederick Community Foundation, May 2016.
- “Nuts & Bolts of Estate Planning,” Baltimore Symphony Orchestra, April 2016.
- “Estate Planning Basics,” Maryland Marine Club, April 2015.
- “Estate Planning from A to Z” (CLE), December 2015.
- “Estate and Tax Planning for Same-Sex Couples” (CLE), September 2014.
- U.S. Supreme Court
- University of Maryland School of Law (J.D., 2006)• Dean’s Fellow
• Editor in Chief, Journal of Business & Technology Law
• William P. Cunningham Award for distinguished service to the School of Law
- University of Maryland - UMUC (B.A., 2003)
- Maryland State Bar Association
• Estate and Trust Law Section Council
• LGBTQ Bar Association
- FreeState Justice
• Board of Directors
• Policy Committee
• Pro bono attorney
- Baltimore Estate Planning Council
• Board of Directors
- Baltimore Symphony Orchestra
• Chair, Planned Giving Advisory Council
- Walters Art Museum
• Planned Giving Advisory Council
- Episcopal Diocese of Maryland
• Planning Giving Task Force