Jeffrey A. Wothers brings three decades of experience litigating on behalf of major international insurance syndicates, domestic insurance carriers and self-insureds.
Jeffrey’s practice is focused on Representations & Warranty (R&W) and Warranty & Indemnity (W&I) claims and coverage; insurance litigation; and commercial litigation defense involving professional liability, construction defects and premises liability. Among his many successful representations are numerous multijurisdictional matters for large, complex enterprises that involved high-dollar claims.
Recognized by Martindale-Hubbell® with its highest AV-Preeminent® distinction in insurance law, Jeffrey skillfully litigates coverage disputes and conducts arson and fraud investigations across North America, His clients include numerous Lloyd’s syndicates that underwrite insurance and reinsurance coverage for companies around the world. He also serves as trust counsel to the Local Government Insurance Trust, a nonprofit organization that provides joint self-insurance for jurisdictions across Maryland.
Jeffrey relies on his background in economics and finance to understand the business and financial context of coverage issues. His thoughtful advice and counsel, informed by 30 years of coverage litigation and dispute resolution experience, are designed to provide clients with sensible strategies to resolve commercial insurance disputes.
Throughout his career, Jeffrey has taken on various leadership roles. He is currently Chairman of the Carroll County (Maryland) Planning & Zoning Commission and serves on the board of LifeBridge Health hospital where he chairs the Audit & Compliance Committee. He was also Niles Barton’s managing partner for seven years and continues to serve on the firm’s Management Committee. In each of these roles, Jeffrey is a trusted advisor who offers tempered leadership, guidance and mentoring.
Related Practice Areas
- District of Columbia
- New York
- North Carolina
- West Virginia
- U.S. Supreme Court
J.D., Widener University School of Law, 1991
- American Jurisprudence Award, Constitutional Law
- B.A. in Economics, University of Maryland Baltimore County, 1988
- American Bar Association, Property Insurance Law Committee, Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section, 1992 – Present
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- Maryland State Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Virginia State Bar Association
- West Virginia Bar Association
- 2023 edition of The Best Lawyers in America®, Litigation - Insurance
- Martindale-Hubbell®, AV-Preeminent®, Insurance Law
- Maryland Super Lawyers, Insurance Coverage and Business Litigation, 2008 – present
- LifeBridge Health, Board of Directors; Audit & Compliance Committee Chair
- Carroll County Planning & Zoning Commission, Chairman
- Carroll Hospital Center, former Board of Directors Chair
News and Publications
- “A Practical Guide to Appraisal”
- “Representations & Warranties Policies: A Coverage Primer” 2019
- Arias US Seminar “Reps and Warranties: Insurance What Dealmakers and Arbitrators Need to Know” 2020
- Corporate Disputes Magazine “Resolving Post-Acquisition Disputes: Representations and Warranties (R&W) Claims” July-September 2021