- 410-783-6341 direct
- 410-783-6486 fax
Mr. Roswell is the Managing Partner at Niles, Barton & Wilmer, LLP. He concentrates his practice on commercial litigation and business law, including matters involving business disputes and real estate. His practice also includes property insurance law, first-party and third-party insurance coverage matters and the defense of complex general liability claims. His experience includes the investigation and litigation of various coverage issues, including arson, coverage interpretations, and fraud investigations. Mr. Roswell is admitted to practice in Maryland, Virginia and the District of Columbia.
Chambers and Partners describe him as "a very good trial lawyer who is very effective for his clients."
Mr. Roswell's extensive commercial litigation experience positions him to assist companies in a variety of business matters. He advises business owners in general representation matters, creditor’s rights in bankruptcy, as well as effective representation of buyers and sellers in mergers and acquisitions in both privately and publicly held industries.
Mr. Roswell has been appointed to the Maryland State Judicial Nominating Commission and the Maryland State Ethics Commission by the Maryland Governor’s Office, and has also been appointed to serve on the government task force established to study insurance of last resort programs in the state.
Mr. Roswell has been ranked as a leader in the area of litigation by several professional publications and organizations. He is a Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America, and a member of the Trial Law Institute. He has been recognized by Chambers USA in the area of Insurance Law in Maryland in 2018. He has also been recognized by Maryland Super Lawyers in Business Litigation from 2008-2019. Mr. Roswell is rated AV by Martindale-Hubbell, awarded by peer review, for the highest standards of professional skill and ethics.
Mr. Roswell serves on the Board of Directors of the B&O Railroad Museum, and is Past Board President of St. David’s Day School in Baltimore. He also currently serves on the Board of Directors of the Law Firm Alliance, a global network of mid-size law firms extending the reach of legal services beyond the Mid-Atlantic region for Niles Barton, the exclusive Maryland member firm.
Honors & Awards
- Chambers USA - Maryland, Insurance, 2018
- Maryland Super Lawyers recognized attorney in Business Litigation, 2008-2019
- SmartLawyer - SmartCEO Magazine
- Martindale-Hubbell AV- Preeminent® 2013 Top Rated Lawyer in Insurance Law
- Century Engineering, Inc.
- Travelers Property Casualty Company
- FM Global
- Joint Insurance Association
- Catalina Enterprises Pension Trust v. Hartford Fir Ins. Co., 67 F.3d 63 (4th Cir. 1995)
- Powell v. U.S.F.&G., 88 F.3d 271 (4th Cir. 1996)
- Maryland, 1991
- U.S. District Court District of Maryland, 1992
- District of Columbia, 1992
- U.S. District Court of the District of Columbia, 1994
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit, 1994
- Virginia, 1992
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Virginia, 1992
- U.S. District Court Western District of Virginia, 2000
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Eastern District of Virginia, 2000
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2015
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims, 2017
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, 2017
- University of Baltimore School of LawBaltimore, MD
- Loyola CollegeBaltimore, MD
B.A., Political Science, 1988
- American Bar Association
Business Law Section
Property Insurance Law Sub Committee
Section of Litigation ADR Committee
- Maryland State Bar Association
Alternative Dispute Resolution Section
- Virginia State Bar
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- Baltimore City Bar Association
- Association for Conflict Resolution - Maryland Chapter
- Maryland Council on Dispute Resolution
- Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow
Diversity Law Institute, Member
Trial Law Institute, Member
- Maryland State Judicial Nominating Commission
- Maryland State Ethics Commission
- B&O Railroad Museum
Board of Directors
- Law Firm Alliance
Chair-Elect, Board of Directors