Craig D. Roswell, concentrates his practice on commercial litigation and business law, including matters involving business disputes and real estate.
Craig’s practice includes property insurance law, first-party and third-party insurance coverage matters and the defense of complex general liability claims. His experience includes the investigation and litigation of various coverage issues, including arson, coverage interpretations, and fraud investigations.
Craig’s extensive commercial litigation experience positions him to assist companies in a variety of business and transactional matters. He advises business owners in general representation matters, creditor’s rights in bankruptcy, as well as effective representation of buyers and sellers in mergers and acquisitions in both privately and publicly held industries.
Craig is the current Chair of the Maryland State Ethics Commission, has served on the Maryland State Judicial Nominating Commission, and has also been appointed as a member of the government task force established to study insurance of last resort programs in the state.
Craig has been ranked as a leader in the area of litigation by several professional publications and organizations. He has been recognized by Chambers USA in the area of Insurance Law in Maryland in 2018 and 2021, describing him as "a very good trial lawyer who is very effective for his clients."
He has also been peer-selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® in the area of Insurance Law since 2020. Craig has been recognized by Maryland Super Lawyers in Business Litigation since 2008. He is a Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America, a member of the Trial Law Institute, and is rated AV by Martindale-Hubbell, awarded by peer review, for the highest standards of professional skill and ethics.
Craig is very involved in the community. He is the past Chair of the Board of Directors of the Law Firm Alliance, a global network of midsize law firms extending the reach of legal services beyond the Mid-Atlantic region for Niles Barton, the exclusive Maryland-based member firm. He also serves on the Board of Directors of the B&O Railroad Museum and is Past Board President of St. David’s Day School in Baltimore.
Related Practice Areas
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- J.D., Cum Laude, University Baltimore School of Law, 1991
- B.A. in Political Science, Loyola College, 1988
- American Bar Association Business Law Section, TIPS Member, Property Insurance Law Sub Committee, Section of Litigation ADR Committee
- Association for Conflict Resolution - Maryland Chapter
- Baltimore City Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow Trial Law Institute, Member
- Maryland Council on Dispute Resolution
- Maryland State Bar Association Alternative Dispute Resolution Section
- Maryland State Ethics Commission, Chair
- Maryland State Judicial Nominating Commission
- Virginia State Bar
- Chambers USA - Maryland, Insurance, 2018, 2021
- Maryland Super Lawyers, Business Litigation, 2008-present
- The Best Lawyers in America® in Insurance Law, 2020-present
- Martindale-Hubbell AV- Preeminent® Top Rated Lawyer in Insurance Law
- The Daily Record 2023 Leaders in Law
- Law Firm Alliance, Past Chair, Board of Directors
- B&O Railroad Museum, Board of Directors
- St. David’s Day School in Baltimore, Past Board President