"Creative experience from both sides of the claim"
In a firm where there is concentrated effort in protecting the rights of insurance carriers and their insureds, it is only natural to have a dynamic subrogation department. Niles Barton’s vast and diverse experience in insurance related matters often provides valuable insight to the evaluation of subrogation claims. The training of our attorneys in first- and third-party defense litigation provides us with the ability to avoid the common pitfalls and mistakes of plaintiff's counsel, to formulate effective tactics and strategies for the courtroom, and to maximize recovery on behalf of the insurance carrier. Our goal is very simple: provide determined, innovative and efficient representation to obtain the most favorable recovery for our clients.
Our experience includes litigation of complex losses throughout the mid-Atlantic region, including Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, and the District of Columbia. As a member of the Law Firm Alliance, we can extend our reach of sophisticated subrogation services for clients beyond the mid-Atlantic region to all 50 states.
We represent insurance companies in the following areas of subrogation:
• Property loss – Our attorneys handle a wide range of property damage claims, from automobile losses to fire and casualty claims. We take the necessary action to preserve your subrogation interests and aggressively recover the payout amount.
• Construction defects – Our attorneys have significant experience in construction law and have been involved in significant construction law cases. We apply this knowledge to our client’s subrogation cases to ensure the right investigations take place and the common pitfalls of construction cases are avoided.
• Workers’ Compensation – We can act quickly and decisively to alert parties in litigation to the presence of workers’ compensation liens and to recovery money paid out as workers’ compensation benefits. We have conducted subrogation actions on behalf of carriers and with suits brought by the injured party.
• Products liability – Our attorneys have experience litigating cases involving hundreds of different products, including industrial machinery, automobiles, and household items.
• Fire and explosion – We handle large commercial and residential fire and explosion cases. Our attorneys assist clients in the preparation, prosecution, and defense of these cases at early stages. Furthermore, we are always available to help clients with time-sensitive issues such as evidence preservation, spoliation, and expert retention from the moment a loss occurs.
• Bond loss – If you face bond loss, our attorneys can help you achieve the recovery to which you are entitled under your bond policies. We have advised clients throughout the entire bonds claims process, including investigation of the loss, preparations of proofs of loss, and gathering evidence and testimony to support a claim.
• Auto accidents – Our attorneys pursue claims against at-fault drivers and uninsured motorists in order to minimize insurer losses. If necessary, our lawyers will garnish wages and levy bank accounts to ensure the proper resolution of a claim.
• Admiralty/ Transportation and Trucking – Our attorneys will pursue claims stemming from maritime losses, trucking losses, property damage to cargo and transportation related losses. As one of the original maritime law firms in the mid-Atlantic region, we have the breadth of experience for swift resolution of claims.
Our timely and thorough approach to investigation often leads to successful recovery without the necessity of filing suit. In multiple party losses, we routinely negotiate cooperation agreements, allowing clients to focus their efforts on the successful prosecution of claims. When possible, we help clients seek solutions outside the courtroom, through alternative dispute resolution, including arbitration and mediation.
Niles Barton will gladly provide initial subrogation evaluations that can best lead the client in its decision-making with regard to pursuing subrogation.