Business and Corporate Law
"Increasing confidence in your business"
Niles Barton has been representing business clients since its inception in 1838, so we understand the intricacies of today’s business. From start-ups to public companies, there are many challenges in starting, buying, selling and managing businesses from negotiating and drafting contracts, managing employees, understanding and complying with government rules and regulations, to resolving conflicts between owners. Our corporate attorneys understand these challenges, so we help clients deal with legal issues and problems that impact their business. Our business lawyers provide solutions from cost-effective company formation to strategic legal and business advice throughout the company growth stages.
Many clients consult us specifically on sale, acquisition and merger matters. These transactions are about more than just money. Businesspeople have many reasons to buy, sell or merge a company, such as the injection of new capital or the acquisition of market share, growth, technology, experienced personnel, new clients, or new products or services. At Niles Barton, our attorneys understand these different goals and advise clients on the best way to handle the acquisitions/dispositions of businesses, entity formation, developing shareholder agreements, limited liability company operating agreements, and commercial contracts.
We counsel clients in a broad range of industries and have specific industry expertise in the areas of banking and finance, construction, healthcare, insurance, real estate and development, information technology, small business and nonprofits. Our corporate attorneys work closely with individual business owners, partners, managers, and in-house counsel to support their legal needs in the Mid-Atlantic Region.
Our corporate legal services include:
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Software and Technology
- Intellectual Property Protection
- Cannabis Law
- Creditor’s Rights and Bankruptcy
- Business Succession Planning
- Business Transactions
- Commercial and Business Tort Litigation
- Commercial Lending
- Company Formation
- Contract Administration and Negotiation
- Corporate and Partnership Matters
- Data Security
- Financial Services Law
- Privacy Law
- Securities Law
Data Security & Privacy Law
A business’s reputation and ultimate success is built on a foundation of trust. That trust can be quickly broken in an uncertain and unstable cybersecurity environment. Concerns over privacy and security vulnerabilities are of critical importance for business owners.
To help business owners meet this concern, Niles, Barton & Wilmer has developed a set of legal services delivered by a cross-section of attorneys from a variety of practice areas that are ready to help your business or organization prepare, navigate, and respond to a data breach, and institute the best practices to prevent one.
In order to deliver the peace of mind your clients deserve, companies and organizations must first have a thorough understanding of the risks to their business. At Niles, Barton & Wilmer, we provide privacy law and data security legal advice, counseling, and guidance to a broad spectrum of industries affected by this rapidly evolving business challenge. Our primary areas of focus are:
- GDPR implementation;
- C-suite and employee training on best privacy and data protection practices;
- Guidance on fulfilling your obligations under HIPAA, GINA, GLBA, FERPA, COPPA, TCPA, FCRA, and FACTA;
- Determining appropriate privacy programs that suit your business’s needs;
- Crafting privacy policies to conform to FTC and state laws regarding Unfair and Deceptive Trade Practices;
- Determining what steps you need to take to comply with international, federal, and state privacy and data protection laws; and
- Compliance before, during, and after a data breach.
- Assessing and mitigating losses after a breach.