- 410-783-6432 direct
- 410-783-6483 fax
George Reede serves as the Chairman of the Litigation Department at Niles, Barton & Wilmer, LLP. Mr. Reede regularly advises insurers on a variety of coverage issues.
Effective coverage analysis involves knowing how to apply policy language to the unique facts of each case. Having co-authored a commercial property insurance policy, Mr. Reede has a unique perspective on insurance policy interpretation. His experience as coverage counsel has included:
- A wide variety of property insurance coverages, including computers and media, civil authority, builders risk and business interruption;
- Many different businesses and industries, including chemical manufacturers, professional sports teams, airports and convention centers;
- Over a thousand examinations under oath, many involving suspected insurance fraud.
Even the best coverage decisions are still subject to challenge, and litigation can be unavoidable. Mr. Reede has effectively represented insurers in federal and state courts, at both the trial and appellate level, and in administrative hearings. In addition to the published cases referenced below, his experience includes:
- Complex property coverage litigation involving loss of income claims at 58 airports across the country, all arising from the events of 9/11;
- A variety of coverage cases relating to natural disasters;
- Subrogation litigation involving significant explosion, fire and water losses;
- Administrative proceedings arising from complaints under Maryland's Unfair Claim Settlement Practices Act;
- National and international discovery, including depositions in 30 states, Israel, England and Canada
Mr. Reede regularly provides training as a service to his clients. This has included classes offered through CEU Institute for adjuster licensing requirements on topics such as ethical claims management, wind claim causation analysis, mold claims, and insurance fraud detection. He has also spoken at seminars and conferences on various property insurance issues.
- "Ethics for Adjusters," co-presenter with John Curl, Ph.D. of Sequoia Insurance, at the Eastern, Central and Western PLRB/LIRB Regional Adjusters Conferences in 2009.
- "Business Writing Skills: Correspondence, Complaints and Compliments," presenter at the Eastern, Central and Western PLRB/LIRB Regional Adjusters Conferences in 2010, 2012 and 2014.
- “Tips to Improve Written Communication,” co-presenter with Steve Baroncini, Vice President, Property Claims, Greater New York Mutual Insurance Company, at the Eastern and Western PLRB Regional Adjusters Conferences in 2015.
- "Business Writing for the Insurance Professional," co-presenter with Todd Breton, President, Inspire Consulting, at the PLRB Claims Conference, San Antonio, TX in 2016.
Honors & Awards
- Rated AV Preeminent (5.0 out of 5.0) by Martindale Hubbell
- Power of the Pen: One wrong word can mean the difference between effective claim resolution and litigation, Claims Management Magazine, Winter 2011, with Gary Sullivan, CPCU, AIC, AIM, AIS of Erie Insurance.
- Ruthless Objectivity: Impartiality and Ethical Claim Decisions, Claims Magazine, September 2009.
- Brethren Mutual Insurance Company
- Erie Insurance Group
- Hartford Insurance Group
- Harford Mutual Insurance Company
- Zurich American Insurance Group
- MDB Communications, Inc. v. Hartford Casualty Ins. Co., 531 F. Supp. 2d 75 (U.S. District Court, District of Columbia 2008)
- Cecilia Schwaber Trust Two v. Hartford Accident & Indem. Co., 437 F. Supp.2d 485 (U.S. District Court, District of Maryland 2006)
- Martinez v. Hartford Casualty Ins. Co., 429 F. Supp.2d 52, 2006 WL 911895 (U.S. District Court of the District of Columbia 2006)
- Quandrangle Dev. Corp. v. Hartford Ins. Co., 645 A.2d 1074 (District of Columbia Court of Appeals 1994)
- Sylvan Paper Corp. v. Verlan Fire Ins. Co., 2005 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 29325 (U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey 2005)
- Volunteer/Reference, America World Adoption
- Classic Car Restoration, 1954 Packard Cavalier
- Board of Elders, Hunt Valley Presbyterian Church, 2002-2008, 2010-2016
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit
- U.S. District Court District of Maryland
- U.S. District Court of the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia
- Washington and Lee University School of LawLexington, VA
Honors: Burks Scholar
- Cedarville CollegeCedarville, Ohio
B.A., 1987, with High Honor
- American Bar Association
Property Insurance Committee, TIPS
- American Bar Association
- Maryland State Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- Virginia Bar Association
- Baltimore County Bar Association