- (410) 783-6392 direct
- (410) 783-6445 fax
Mr. Pollock is an attorney in the Corporate and Litigation Departments at Niles, Barton & Wilmer, LLP, concentrating his practice in data security and privacy law, general litigation and insurance law in the state of Maryland and the District of Columbia.
Mr. Pollock assists clients in navigating state, federal, and international data security and privacy laws. As a Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP-US), he counsels his clients on complying with applicable data security, cybersecurity, and privacy laws and regulations.. Mr. Pollock partners with top tier cybersecurity experts to perform risk assessments, vulnerability, and penetration testing, and provide recommendations to strengthen his client’s cybersecurity infrastructure. In the event of a data breach, Mr. Pollock analyzes and, determines what laws are implicated, and assists company with all necessary steps to comply with the applicable data security and cybersecurity laws to avoid fines, penalties, and potential regulatory investigations and civil lawsuits.
Data Security and Cybersecurity Law Experience
- Drafting and implementing the applicable policies, protocols, procedures, and programs (e.g., information security policies, incident response plans, risk assessment policies, data disposal protocols, enforcement policies, etc.). to comply with the varied and diverse state, federal, and international laws data security and cybersecurity laws.
- Educating and training executives and employees regarding data security and cybersecurity best practices.
- Mock breach response training and round table exercises.
- Performing the required third-party service provider and vendor due diligence, investigation, and vetting.
- Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US)
- Certified Information Privacy Manager (CIPM)
- Preparing, Adapting and Responding to Cyber Incidents: Marriott International Case Study, Pollock, Spencer (Co-Authored with Roger Hockenberry, Cognitio). (March 2019).
- Reported Data Breaches Involving Maryland Residents on the Rise.Pollock, Spencer (June 2019).
- The Requirements and Impact of the Insurance Data Security Model Law.Pollock, Spencer (October 2019).
- Cyber Security Seminar: Cyber Preparedness, Data Protection & Privacy’s Impact on Your Business. (April 2019).
- Half Day, Three-Part Educational Event: Expert Insights into Reducing Your Cybersecurity Exposure and PCI Risk. Mid-Atlantic Association for Financial Professionals (November 2019).
- “Quis custodiet ipsos custodes (Who Watches the Watchers)?” Treasurers’ Roundtable (January 2020).
- “Is your company ready to handle a data breach?” (February 2020).
- Cyber Attack Preparedness. Fox 45 morning show (January 2020).
- Data Security and Cybersecurity. Stevie Bridgewater’s Public Affairs Show (January 2020)
- Baltimore Cybersecurity Attorney: Threats Of Working From Home. WBAL News Now with Bryan Nehman, WBAL NewsRadio 1090/FM 101.5 (March 2020).
Trial and Litigattion Experience
As a trial lawyer, he has first-chair trial experience in district and circuit courts, including jury trials.
- Lead counsel on over 30 civil defense jury trials with an 85% win-rate. Co-counsel on an additional 25 state and federal jury trials.
- Lead counsel on over 250 bench trials in Maryland.
- Lead counsel defending over 100 depositions of parties and fact witnesses with more than 40 depositions of expert witnesses.
Honors & Awards
- 2017 Living Classrooms Foundation Rising Star
- 2020 Maryland Super Lawyers – Rising Star
- Maryland, 2012
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland, 2013
- District of Columbia, 2014
- University of Baltimore School of LawBaltimore, MD
- University of the SouthSewanee, TN
B.A., Political Science, 2008
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Baltimore County Bar Association
- Maryland Defense Counsel, Inc.
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)